From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:10:47 -0500
Thanks to Millie Eidson (New York's Public Health Vet who is still trying
to find a way to make changes there without legislation, but has advised
Sharon that legislation efforts begin to be safe) I found out about Dr.
Paul Ettestad (1-505-827-0006) who is the individual handling rabies policy
for New Mexico.  (Dr. Eidson used to work there.)  (I know, I know -- Dr.
Umland's office COULD have told at least one of us in at least one of the
phone calls and letters that her's was the wrong office...)  Anyway, only
one or two ferrets have died and been tested in New Mexico in four years
(Those were ones which were loose, the owner could not be found, and the
behavior was extreme.); they have a long-standing unofficial policy of NOT
killing ones which are vaccinated and the owners can be found, or which are
cuddly.  He said that he HAS informed all the animal control officers about
the Compendium as an unofficial guideline in conjunction with the past
ferret-freindly policy (so if you know of one which didn't get the mailing
have them contact him), but the process to have OFFICIAL change in New
Mexico is BY LAW a VERY, very LONG and involved one.  He is hoping it is
officially in place this year, but can't be sure.  He supports the research
and the Compendium. and is doing his best to try to make sure that none die
before this gets through in New Mexico.

Pam, could you pass this on to your contacts in New Mexico?  I don;t have
an address for them.

The envelopes with the copies of the more recent letters went out this last
weekend priority mail.  Those of you who get them (Bill, Troy Lynn, Kym,
Dick, Pam, Jeanne, etc.) should have them in your hot hands <G> by mid-week.
[Sukie, the envelope arrived already! Thanks. BIG]

Please, forgive all errors.  Am filled to the gills with asthma meds but
don't know how coherent I am yet.

Sukie