From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:11:10 EDT
>You wrote: I use tea tree oil on myself as well as patchouli, grapeseed,
>and mugwort oils for various purposes.

I love all three.

You wrote:
>My mom put patchouli (mixed with olive) oil on her dog's stitches when
>she ( the dog, not my mom) got spayed and said it helped the healing
>process.  I find the tea tree oil is a great insect repellent and was
>wondering if I could dab some on the ferrets as a flea deterrent?  Is
>tea tree oil too aromatic to be used on fuzzbutts?

While Tea Tree is an aromatic herb, anything that is sold as an essential
oil is sold "neat" or undiluted.  One should never place an undiluted oil
on human or animal skin, nor should one sniff an undiluted oil.  It can
burn the skin, and seriously overwhelm the olfactory nerve where the
aromas go in the body.

I have no references that tell me Tea Tree is safe for fuzzies.  It is a
very powerful oil.  I use it on horses, but not little fuzzies.  To deter
fleas you can use a bit of garlic powder, or pennyroyal ground up.  Just
pass over your fuzzy, or you can make a spray of thyme or oregano tea
diluted l/3 thyme to 2/3 water.  Spray only a bit at a time and do not
spray the eyes.

>Also, while I'm thinking of the patchouli oil thing, my pet rat is having
>a tumor removed today.  Would I be able to do something like what my mom
>did to the rat?  Would it help her?

Again I'm not sure why your mom used Patchouli, but she knew to dilute it
in an oil so maybe she knows more than I do.  Ask her where she got her
information on it, I'd love to know ok?  I usually use lavender oil on
cuts and burns for animals.  You have to always dilute your essential
oils 1/5 oil diluted in 4/5 olive oil, for smaller animals.  Any oil
other than olive oil can go rancid.  If you do not have access to olive
oil you should cut open a vitamin E cap and add to whatever oil you are
using.  It helps it not go rancid.

>Thanks in advance if you can help.
>
>christine

Warmly ~