Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 06:18:01 -0800
My ferret, Tiki, has adrenal disease.  She's nearly 6 yrs old.  Her tail
started going bald in November.  She's had previous bald patches combined
with orange, crusty skin, but another vet said it was fleas, and the hair
has grown back within a month of flea treatment.  My current vet, who has
seen a lot of ferrets, thinks those patches were likely adrenal disease.
Other than the fur loss, she acts as she always did; then again, she's
always been a very low-key, itchy ferret.

I'm looking for ferret owners' experiences and advice for treatment.  I
know surgery is only way to cure the problem, but there is always a risk.
Plus, she's old, she's not suffering, and I hate to think that she could
be one of the few to have problems with the surgery.  I'm very surgery-shy,
after having lost 2 of 3 dogs despite surgery efforts to save them.  I hate
to put a happy animal at risk.  Even if I knew for a fact that she'd come
through, the surgery would still be a stress on her, and my vet prefers
to remove both glands to prevent symptoms from returning.  That means
pill-popping or monthly shots for the rest of her life.  So far, the vast
majority of ferret owners recommend avoiding the surgery.

I'm considering Lupron.  I know that it doesn't cure the disease, but at
Tiki's age, treatment for an easier life may be all she needs.  It's much
lower risk.  I also like the fact that I can see the results at a much
lower price than with surgery, then decide whether or not the shots are
worth it.  I'm also considering doing nothing.  Doing nothing is the most
practical option, considering my financial situation, but I'm not a very
practical person.  More than being practical, I want to do what's truly
best for my baby.

I would love to hear any experiences with these options, especially those
done with older ferrets.  I still have some time to make a final decision,
and I want to be as informed as possible.  Thank you.