From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 15:46:31 -0500
Looks like I had a post go missing in the ether yesterday.  Happens.

The places I wanted to let you know about which help improve veterinary
care (when I said to see my other post) are the same ones I have mentioned
before: Morris Animal Foundation, the Animal Medical Center, multiple
veterinary schools, some private clinics or private vets (like Charlie
Weiss).  Can't recall how that wound up fitting in the missing post, and
only recall one of the topic in there: darkness.

You can look back into earlier posts of learn about darkness.  Basically,
there have been some interesting cutting-edge projects on hormonal
neoplasias or cancers (not in ferrets as far as I know so far, though I
know of an excellent research vet who would like to do such a project) and
length of true complete darkness.  Adrenal neoplasias with hyperestrogenism
are an example of a growth which fits into the hormonal category.  In the
October 17, 1998, Vol 154, No.  16 issue of Science News on pages 248 - 250
there is an excellent over-view of studies into the topic.  I know of one
study which was missed, but not of others.  Of course, I am not in that
field and the topic is simply one I follow on a curiosity basis.  The
premise is this: that melatonin as one of the best cancer-fighting
compounds produced by the body is something a person does not want
decreased, that ingested melatonin may NOT act the same way that the
compound acts when the body produces it (something which one earlier small
look at melatonin which I believe happened at MF would also point to as a
consideration), that there may be other cancer-fighting compounds produced
during periods of darkness.  The reason the studies began is because it was
noticed that humans who are blind have significantly lower rates of certain
hormonal cancers.  Measurements of naturally-produced melatonin are reduced
greatly by night-lights, especially by those in shades of blue or green.
Animals with burrow dwelling ancestors appear to possibly be more prone to
such disruptions -- just a tiny amount of light coming in under the door
made a difference for rats.

If you want to see this information and the MANY details I left out have
your reference librarian obtain the articles titled: "Does Light Have a
Dark Side?  Nighttime illumination might elevate cancer risk" and "How
Much Light Is Too Much?" by Janet Raloff using the above issue and date
information, or look up the summaries posted earlier on the FML for less
info on these articles than the real thing but more than I've posted here,
and for some comments of the vet Judi Bell in relation to darkness.  I do
not think the articles are available any longer on the Science News
webpage.

We figure it's easy to provide darkness by going with loads of bedding
(especially some sleep sacks), and doubled black sheets and polartek black
blankets over our cage -- plus our cage is large enough, vertical enough,
and close enough to an AC vent to not overheat (Yes, we checked.)  In the
day they tend to either return to their cage or to go under the platform
bed in bedding there, except for Meeteetse who needs some help.  It can't
hurt but it might help, and it is more natural for animals whose ancestors
spend so much time in burrows, so why not?

OH, I THINK remember two things that I think were from the lost post.  I
mentioned that Meeteetse probably wouldn't sleep where told, that I have
NOT read up on whether magnets can cause problems (Know it sure looks like
they can if they are extremely large ones and people go right into them for
recreational use since we knew someone who used to scramble his neurons
that way but he also scrambled them in a number of other fashions.  This
is a matter of DOSE again; the magnets that guy went in were HUGE so don't
compare to standard ones...).  If magnets in small sizes don't do harm when
checked (and I sure haven't read of them doing harm) then the question is
only "why not"?  I also mentioned that we also have read reliable negative
things about ozone generators, but given that ozone is one of the nasty
components of smog that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  It's great in
the upper atmosphere, but down here around sensitive respiratory tracts in
a completely different matter.  We have hepa filters with charcoal inserts
(which are due to be replaced again).

Mast Cell tumors produce histamines which is why they itch.  Ask your vet
if you can give about 0.125 ml of PEDIATRIC Benedryl syrup every 6 hours.
We have found that the antihistamines in it can be useful for reducing the
symptoms till removal and have also used it for a ferret with asthma.  This
is a VERY SMALL dose so you'll want to get some tiny needleless syringes
from your vet to measure this oral medicine most accurately.  NOTE that I
have put a ZERO BEFORE the point.  Clear this with your vet before trying
in case there are counter-indications.  (We are not vets; just people with
long experience.)

Sukie