From:
Yasmin Mughal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 22:40:45 EDT
Hello all,

Thanks for the responses to my neutering questions.  I understand that the
smell and behavior will take some time to subside after neutering.  Would it
be best to keep him separated from my 2 girls until that time has passed?
I have let them sniff each other and he gets really excited and makes a
clucking noise.  Will he hurt them?

The next topic I wanted to discuss is allergies as I have seen this being
a reason that fuzzies are being given away.  There are options that I, an
extremely allergic person have found which allow me to keep my family.  I
am deathly allergic to cats, somewhat allergic to dogs, so I thought maybe
a ferret is my best shot.  About 6 months into having them, I had a couple
severe allergy attacks which induced asthma attacks.  Eventually, I moved
south of the Mason/Dixon line where the pollen is thick and I got severe
asthma attacks outside the house and which were made worse by the fuzzies.
The allergy problem was easily solved by using AllercatC- a dander remover
for cats.  If asthma is brought on by an allergy attack, that may be all you
need to use.  It wasn't sufficient for me once I moved, so I started using
inhalers to control my asthma.  I now take 4 puffs twice a day, a claritin
during pollen season and my asthma is totally controlled.  I could lick a
cat now.  Granted, I would have needed some medication given the pollen, but
even if I didn't, I would be willing to spend 4 minutes twice a day to keep
a fuzzy.  I realize that this is a personal decision, but for all those who
are thinking about getting ferrets and have any animal allergies- don't
adopt unless you are willing to take steps to control the allergies.  It's
one thing to try out a new laundry detergent, you can always buy a different
one.  Pets should be a serious commitment, please explore all your options.

My 2 cents worth.

Mina