From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 10:43:03 -0500
Whoever says cedar shavings has "no oils" in it doesn't know whereof they
speak.  The distinctive cedar scent comes from the volatile oils in the
wood.  Many small mammals are allergic to these oils, and though I don't
know for a fact whether ferrets are, I've come to the conclusion that it
is better to be safe than sorry -- do not use cedar shavings for ferret
bedding.  For that matter, other wood shavings also pose a potential
health threat, as most of the shavings sold as bedding have a certain
amount of dust in them, and can cause respiratory distress.  Once again --
better safe than sorry!  My recommendation for ferret bedding is to use
old towels, old sweatshirts, cutoff jeans legs...ferrets love to burrow in
these, and they're easy to toss in the washer.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153