From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:59:43 -0500
Mary,

If I remember correctly, you live in or near Battle Creek.  That is a
strange area of the state, and definitely a bleak area for ferrets.  The
most negative comments I get on ferrets invariably come from east of
Jackson.  Idiots.  First of all, general MSU information should be either
355-1855 or 353-1855.  I'm sorry, it's been a couple of years since I
graduated and I don't remember the exchange.  Second, I think you should
call animal control, because it sounds like someone at the shelter got
things screwed up.  My suspicion is that the shelter uses this
unsubstantiated rumor to turn ferrets over to animal control, and that
animal control has no idea why they keep getting ferrets, and euthanizes
them routinely when no one shows up to claim them, which they probably don't
show up to claim them because the morons at the shelter are telling them
their pets are already dead.  *pant pant*

Anyway, I hope you expose the fool who is responsible for that policy.

Also, in spite of the fact that Michigan State University is one of the
premiere vet schools in the country, I would not expect them to have any
particular ferret knowledge, since ferrets were illegal here until 1995.  I
don't recommend taking their advice on anything if you can get a more expert
opinion.  They did once have a cute llama in the large animal clinic,
though.  :) I'll ask around to see if anyone else has heard this rumor.

Good luck,
Catherine