From:
The Keebler Elf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:27:53 -0800
Hello all,

During play, my ferrets like to nose ping pong balls around for awhile, but
eventually they always pull them close into their bodies and herd them into
a corner somewhere.  I've noticed other ferts performing this same feat.
Is this a learned behaviour or are my critters related to Sisyphus?

Also, when I treat my ferrets to their favorite human food; chicken (cooked,
skinned and degreased) I've noticed that they actually "kill" the food
before they eat it (or at least it looks like it).  My male, in particular,
will sniff, approach carefully, pounce and shake the chicken vigorously
before eating it.  I use to think this was because he was trying to tear it
into smaller pieces, but he will do this no matter how small the piece is.

Both ferrets are handled and use to humans, but I am curious as to where
this behaviour came from.

Thanks,
Glen Miller