From:
Melissa Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:08:19 -0500
Hi!  There's apperently a new ferret food on the market from 'MapleLodge',
a originally people food company.  They went into pet foosd reciently for
carnivours (yay!) and when I was talking to the pet food production manager
at the local pet expo, he mentioned.  'We're doing a ferret food now, for
about 6 months.  It's only available in the West Coast' He's offered to
send me a sample and a nutritional breakdown.  I was happy, and got to tell
him about the potential problems I've heard about ferrets and fish-based
foods.  I think it goes under the name 'Nutria' as that seemed to be the
name on thier other stuff.

Why I think this is a good thing:
a) It's done by a company that specializes in meat foods.  So they can get
the meat a fuzzy needs in his food.  Most fuzzy gfoods seem to be made by
compaines that do herbivour and bird foods mostly.

b) Aparently, the nutritionalist worked on doing a ferret food, not just a
modified cat food.  (The manager was able to tell my the protien and fat in
it, and it sounded pretty good, though he wasn't sure exactly)

c) It's a Canadian food, and they sell it in bulk lots of 20 lbs to smaller
packagers, so ferret shelters in canada could get 20 lb bags at factory
prices at Canadian dollars!  (Voctor, the manager, seemed happy about the
idea of doing direct sales to shelters)

Has anyone in the West Coast of Canada run across a new ferret food?
Perhaps I can get a good idea how it is before we test it on my freind's
fuzzies.

Mel!