Date:
Sun, 2 May 2004 23:43:07 -0700
>[Sukie Note: although this is a rare enough problem that we use the pine
>pellets ourselves, it is very important to know that it CAN happen, so
>Dr. Ruth Heller's FHL post is a good heads-up for those who hadn't heard
>of the reactions before. Cedar is just plain not safe while pine is
>unsafe for those who are allergic to it.]

Pine and Cedar were studied way back in 1967.  Aromatic hydrocarbons
from cedar and pine bedding materials are the culprits.  (Vesell, 1967;
Vesell, et al., 1976; Cunliffe-Beamer et al. 1981.)  Pine and cedar are
BOTH unsafe.  In addition, pine causes nasal cancers in humans who have
daily exposure in the wood industry (don't have that study handy, search
Medline if interested.)

"The most characterized and potentially the most troublesome problem is
that these enzymes are also used to remove drugs.  Remember that removing
drugs is just as important as their administration; we want the drugs to
have the desired effects and then go away when we no longer need them,
so knowing exactly how long they will be around is an important part of
every drug's action.  If these enzymes are elevated, then the time a
drug will be in the body and have the desired effect is much less than
predicted.  Some of the drugs affected are xylazine and ketamine, the
most popular injectable anesthesias.  Other important drugs include
dexamethasone, theophylline and all of the opioid painkillers..."
from an article by George Flentke, Ph.D.

Why use pine at all, when there are other very safe litters available....

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14317 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 6 days/week (closed Tue) or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org