From:
Margaret Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 08:52:12 -0800
My neighbor, who has three ferrets, told me about a recent problem she had
with her fuzzies.  Her son noticed a puncture wound on the side of two of
the ferrets.  It turned out to be a hole made from some type of fly larva.
It isn't clear to me if the larva is ingested or if this type of fly lays an
egg in the fur.  As the larva develops it burrows a hole in the ferret.  The
vet said this is common in squirrels and sometimes has been seen in cats.
ICK!  Ferrets have enough health problems.  The larva was removed and the
ferrets are fine.  We are in Washington state so maybe this isn't something
common to other areas of the country but I was curious if anyone has heard
about this.

A while back my son's ferret, Nikki had adrenal surgery (thanks Dr.
Williams for your help).  The surgery went well but taking out the left
adrenal didn't solve the problem.  She still has all the symptoms, hair
loss, vulva swollen, so the right adrenal must be involved too.  We will
keep her warm, and loved and hope that she will stay with us as long as she
can.  I wish there was more we could do.

One more thing.  I am willing to baby-sit.  I know it can be hard trying to
find someone to take care of the little creatures.  I have a cage and a
ferret-proof room.   I am in the Seattle area.

Best to all of you and your carpet sharks.