From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:58:13 -0400
Just an addendum to my previous post -

I am not suggesting people go and tell their local pet shop NOT to
bring in ferrets. All that's being suggested is that you advise them
(the manager if possible) of the situation. Any store manager or owner
worth their price is supposed to be able to assess market conditions.

This is not a sledge-hammer situation! One possible approach . . .

You: "hmmm do you have 50 ferret hammocks in stock" -- (give a
ridiculous number!)

They: "50!?"

You: "Yes, our group is helping an 800 ferret rescue - we are trying to
help and expect XXX to come here soon. Whole males, some bred females,
babies. Wow - we are getting all neutered, of course, but a lot of
ferret folk are excited about having a "late alter" ferret. The ferret
community feels they may live longer and are healthier than early
alters."

They: "I can get you 50 hammocks by the weekend."

You: "Thanks! I will get back to you once we have more details so we
don't overlap other donations. Who should I call to confirm what we
need?"

This can be a discussion over litter boxes, food or whatever! You are
just giving them information -- not hammering them!

As was pointed out to me, many pet stores consider shelter ferrets
"freebies". They don't feel they can compete (sound familiar? we think
we can't compete with them!) ---

That isn't really the issue - I honestly feel if we could find a way
to consistently feed their need for animals to attract shoppers (they
ARE trying to live too!), then ferret sales in chains would eventually
be reduced or disappear.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Assn of CT