Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2001 09:59:24 -0500
We just recently purchased a beautiful 12 week old spayed and descented
female ferret a few days ago for my 15 year old daughter, from a local pet
store.  Niobie is a bundle of joy and a thrill to watch, and a wonderful
addition to our family.

Being a true animal lover, besides having a black lab, a mini dachshund,
a declawed cat and a blue and gold macaw named Syd and tanks of tropical
fish, I signed on to this wonderful Ferret Digest and am learning a lot of
important information.  Since I did, I am also concerned about a few things
too.  Sorry this may seem like old news to you, but being a "new grandma"
I would like to learn all I can.  I am reading of all these terriable
desieses that our dear ferrets could get and that scares me, but with
having parrots, you do learn that there is a lot of scarry things out
there and you learn to be careful and what to watch for.

Where can I go to learn about ADS, ECE and what is a test kit?  And do I
need one and if so, how do I get one?

Other stupid questions I have are:
- How often should you bath a ferret?
- What states don't allow ferrets as pets? And why?
- Why don't you tell an emergency room/ doctor that you were bitten by
  a ferret, and claim it was your cat?
- Where can I go to find a site to give me home made ideas for ferret
  toys and games and such?
- I was told she had her shots and won't be due till she's 6 months old,
  but I will get her to the vet next week, just to be sure.

I usually do a lot of research befor purchasing a pet - I read everything
I could, befor I got my parrot.  Syd was 4 year old biter, who now is the
biggest baby, and no longer a biter.

I have been doing a lot of research since we brought little Niobie home,
but sometimes you don't get the whole story and I want to learn all I can
so that our little baby will have a happy and healthy long life.

Oh and yes we have been very careful with the dogs and Niobie, in fact Tavi
the doxie, just loves her - probally because it the first animal that is
smaller that her - the cat and parrot are both bigger!

Erin and I would appreciate any info you can give.

Gratefully;
Barbara Pasko,  from Indiana