From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 08:59:04 -0700
This message is for [CN], who asked about finding rental housing for
ferrets in California.  First of all, good for you on posting anonymously;
I worry about people who say they're moving out here and post their full
names.  When I moved out to CA, I decided to play it safe and not tell
anyone at all here that I had ferrets (besides the vet, pet sitter, and
other known ferret owners), meaning that I kept the fact from my landlord.
When I looked for a rental house, I tried to find a landlord who liked
animals in general and was amenable to my keeping two "kittens" in the
house.  I also made sure it was all right for me to change the locks on the
house after I moved in, and I looked for a place with a tall fence around
the backyard so that I could walk my babies without the neighbors seeing.
The arrangement worked out fairly well.  The landlord only needed to come
over a few times during the year I was living there to fix things, and
since we arranged our meetings in advance, I was able to store all ferrets
and ferret-related items in a room I was sure the landlord would not need
to see.  In general, I tried to keep the house clean to reduce the signs of
ferret inhabitance.  It would be helpful to have a pet sitter or trusted
friend willing to temporarily house your fuzzies in case of some sort of
emergency.

I don't think this method would work if you are looking for an apartment
rather than a rental house.  In that case, my best suggestion would be to
make a few calls to prospective landlords first.  Before telling them your
name or anything, tell them that you will be bringing your ferrets and try
to gauge their reactions.

Good luck!

[JW]