From:
"Lange, Sandra SJ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:05:31 +1000
>What exactly is it about ferrets that grab hold of your heart and never
>let go??

When I took on my first ferret, I realised that I was responsible for her
for the rest of her life - it was a "oh my god, what have a done!" type
realisation! :-)  I accepted that, for better or worse.  And when you
accept a person or creature that way, with your eyes wide open, despite
its "faults", that is a love.  Since ferrets can have some significant
downsides - mess, smell, poop in wrong places, teeth :) - then that love
is deeper.

The responsibilty includes strictly controlling the environment - (not
like a cat who can you shove out the back door so she doesn't set off
the security alarm.) But within that environment, they are incredibily
independant; they don't need my company, but they will wander over and
say hello and wander off again.  But then they invite you to play with
them, and it's always nice to be wanted!  A cat might consent to be
played with, but a ferret wants you!

Kelly mentioned trust - I think that is a big factor too.  It is a bigger
stretch for a ferret to trust a human, than for a cat or dog to trust a
human, based purely on size.  For their size, ferrets show a remarkable
lack of wariness with humans.

What else?
A ferret stretch is like a cat stretch -incredibly intense and supple,
particularly the curling tongue.

They bring an element of surprise and unpredictability into your life,
even when hindsight said it was predictable.  Hmmmm - that could be a
sort of unconsious desire - Have you had a sort of fleeting thought that
something wasn't a wise move, then discovered an unpotted plant the next
day? :)  I just had to smile, because I knew that they had had a
wonderful day.

They are lovely to hold - wriggly fur feels great, and ferrets are such a
good size to hold.

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts. :)

Sandra, Clover, Princess, Oscar and Gemma-the-cat