From:
Pamela E Troutman and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:29:47 EST
Hi everyone - I'm back from my honeymoon in Las Vegas - what a blast!

Talked to a LOT of CA people about ferrets again - some didn't know a
thing, some didn't see many, and so many more are just slipping the ferrets
into capable hands - putting them down when seized was the last thing any
CA animal control people wanted to do.  I'm passing on the kudos of rescues
well done to Hildy Langwise - her name was mentioned constantly by those
who knew where to send ferrets and we passed out LOTS of her cards to those
who did not.

We talked to a lot of people in animal care work from other states - many
did not realize that ferret specific shelters existed in their own states -
some in their own cities.  I referred people to Indiana shelters; Richmond,
VA; MN; to name a few of the states!  I talked with people from Australia
(they don't think highly of Queensland's ban either), Columbia (the city
in MO and the country), and Russia (can you believe they say they are
seeing ferrets as pets now)!  I was approached by many different computer
companies and product marketers for ferret info.  The presence of Shelters
That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets is important for representing ferrets as pets
with needs like dogs and cats.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet any of the NV ferret people - did
meet Rick of UFO from Utah and the sisters of Ferrets Anonymous.  A large
amount of thanks go to Oregon Ferret Association for lots of colorful
material to be passed out along with The Ferret Den in WI and STAR*
Ferrets.

The HSUS staffers were very pleased to have a small interest group present.
Bruce and I were thanked over and over for being there, passing out
educational material and answering questions.  They want us to come back
again next year.  This is were I have to ask for help.

I have NEVER in the past asked for donations to support STAR*, and I was
all set to discontinue attending the annual HSUS Expo in 2001 because the
rates for booth space went up.  But, they moved the location to Dallas,
Texas (early March 2001) instead of Orlando, and this is a new area where
STAR* has not had an opportunity to educate.  I think I'd like to give it
another year.  Could you out there help?

The booth fee rises from $225 to $350.  And this is if I can get the money
collected by April 1 (the fee goes up after that).  I'd LOVE for the TX
ferret shelters/rescues to help provide materials and people power for the
booth - the tables I rent are for ferret material promoting ferret care
and networking of animal shelters with ferret rescues - not STAR* or club
memberships.  I pay for my own airfare - STAR* usually covers the booth,
table rentals and material copying ($400 this year).  My readership has
been dropping of late, and I just don't think STAR* can afford it all on
its own.  If you'd like to help this tradition (I've been doing the expo
for 8 years now) of educating animal control and pet shelters that have
little experience with ferrets sometimes, please contact me at

Thanks,
Pam Troutman (keeping the last name)