From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 1997 23:16:53 -0500
>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret colonies of intestinal bacteria
>...Perhaps one of the most vital ingredients in the home-made porridge
>soup is yoghurt, a naturally occuring consequence of bacterial/enzymatic
>action on milk.  Although anything is possible,'tis said, is there the
>possibility >that the ingestion by the ferret of the multitudinous bacteria
>endymic to natural yoghurt renders, in effect, the ferret's GI tract
>"immune" to the agent(s) associated with ECE?

You may be on to something, Ed.

Two club meetings ago we had a holistic vet give a talk on nutrition.
Without attempting to repeat his entire hour speech, which I couldn't do if
I tried, lets just say that he was EXTREMELY convincing on the importance of
enzymes and "Soil based organisms" as part of a healthy diet for all
carnivores.  He gave many reasons why it was so important and quite a few
amazing case histories of sick animals started on a diet with these
"additives."

The foods we feed our ferrets are devoid of these components due to the heat
used in processing.  The good news is, you can get both enzymes and SBO's
(soil based organisms) in a powdered form to be added to their food, so you
don't necessarily have to feed your ferret yogurt or let it dig in the dirt
all day.  Around here, these two items are available in the ferret store run
by our shelter operator, but you may be able to get them at a natural
(human) food store.

If anyone is interested, I can probably get the necessary ordering info from
this vet and I have an e-mail address for him (Dr. Russell Swift, DVM) and
an 800 number for wholesale purchase.  Send me e-mail.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke - [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Shelter Home Page - http://www.gate.net/~mjanke