Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:29:32 EDT
Before this heart attack event is described- let me thank Liz for 'A
Fuzzys' Wish.'  That was a wonderful poem that must so well capture the
thoughts of millions of ferrets-sadly.  If only they could speak, we would
not be able to treat them so horrendously without others knowing and laws
being written to protect them.

And I loved Bob C. opening up a discussion on number of ferrets owned
simply by sharing his Opinions on His life and His ferrets.  A ferret
slut,eh?  Just can't say no kind of guy.  Thank you for sharing yourself
with us so openly.  My apologies to you for those people who did not read
what you wrote.

                        The Big Scare
I captured an old starving feral cat a few years ago.  We guess he is about
9 years old now.  Cat is grumpy, seldom purrs, and is a curmudglin.[sp?] I
hold him and speak softly to him and force little kisses and hugs on him
daily.  He slaps me in the face.  He sleeps on my feet cutting off
circulation and wakens me around 3:30 A.M. for food.  This is as close
to marriage as I come.

Cat gets very ornery this time of year due to the change of season, and
breaks off his harness to explore the neighborhood.  He hisses at me and
makes menacing deep throat noises.  I am giving my gigantic cranky man
herbs mixed in its food which calm him down to the point he is bearable
that are prescription vet herbs.  (****email me if you need help with your
cranky feral cat*****]

Today, with all of the ferrets playing God knows where while I was in
another room, Cat got his paw in the screen door- I GUESS- opened it- and
sat out on the porch to be miserable out there.  Little, my deaf white,
kept nipping my feet, and put a hole in both of my nylons.  I did not
understand, and tried to play with him.  He kept leaving the room.  I did
not follow.

Finally, he had done this leaping biting thing over a long period of time
without wanting to play, and it hit me that something was abnormal.  I
followed him where he led me--to the open screen door.

Guys- I was so scared.  Every ferret was free roaming it, and only Little
was in sight.  The thoughts that go through ones' mind-so many different
tangents and tangled concepts.  The big one was-how many am I going to
save?  Can I kill the cat with my thoughts?  Where is the squeaker?  Get
Little in the cage fast.  No- shut the door first.  No- what if one wants
to comes back in?

Lots of reasons not to have as many ferrets as I do.  Here was just one.
I was graced by God, my friends.  He just thought that since it was just
my birthday, I needed a few more grey hairs.  All the ferts were in.  They
may have all been out and come back in.  That is my guess as 4 of them were
under the couch or sofa by the door.  None were asleep.

I am going to work now.  Just had to share the horror and aging of the
morning so when you see me at the Greatest Ferret Show On Earth in a few
weeks looking 20 years older you will know why.

Lisette