From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 22:27:30 EST
First off, my shelter ferrets were recipients of several wonderful packages
from the giving tree.  I was hoping to personally write to each person
and send photo's of the ferrets, but regretfully I currently have other
priorities...and I hope you will all understand.  But all of the gifts
arrived, including Boo's Cheweasels, and the ferrets just love them.  Also,
the items sent directly to Yvonne got there, and she also says thank you!
These extra items have really, really come in handy over the past couple
of days.

Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas:

If you have called or emailed and I haven't gotten back to you, it's
because I don't have an answer for you, or you are asking for ferrets, and
we are a week or so away from being able to begin adoptions.  I will post
an update every day to the FML, feel free to copy these posts to the other
lists, I just don't have time.  I'm prioritizing at this time, and taking
things one step at a time.  So please don't think I'm being rude, but time
is critical right now.

Now an update...

Jim (my husband) moved the Band Aids, neosporin, and peroxide from the
medicine cabinet downstairs onto the counter.  Yep, we've been nailed a
few or more times, through the leather gloves.  Regretfully it is becoming
painfully obvious that these creatures were never handled, and are not
socialized.  For this reason, we are asking shelters and others who have
experience in dealing with this type of ferret to consider taking on 2,
maybe three each.  The reason being is that these ferrets will need a lot
of work over the next 3-6 months before they are adoptable.  We don't want
to overburden anyone, and right now there seems to be enough volunteers
that no one will need to take more than a few.  No ferrets will be placed
with anyone without being altered first.  There will be no exceptions.  I
do have about 12 MF ferrets that should be ready for adoption pending ADV
testing and distemper boosters.  We will probably have an open house, and
ask individuals, to come meet the ferrets and possibly take one home.  I
will post details on this as soon as I figure it out.

We had a bit of a scare when the larger space heater stopped working this
afternoon.  Luckily Jim used to be an electrician, he took a quick look at
it, and had it fixed in 5 minutes flat.

Thanks to Kristeen from MetroFerret who came by this morning with a cage,
litter, paper towels, sleep sacks and a bottle of wine (boy will I be
needing that!!)

Thanks to Ilena who came by today with cages, bedding, plexiglass (it will
save my couch!), puppy pads and more.

Thanks to everyone who has called or emailed with offers of supplies or
cash donations.  Again I will stress that we don't want cash donations sent
directly to us.  We have asked SOS to accept all cash donations, monitor
our vet bills and make payment directly to the vets.  Any extra funds will
revert back to SOS's regular account to help all shelters.

 Support Our Shelters
 c/o Judith White
 1236 Belfield Ave
 Drexel Hill PA19026-4211

Be sure to add a note that it is for the NJ Christmas Rescue.

Here is what I currently need:

I might still need more cages.

Help caring for the ferrets.  I will warn everyone, many of these ferrets
are not socialized.  If you are afraid to handle this type of animal, I
have other things that I need help with, laundry, etc.

The Ferret Store will have a list of items I need by Tuesday afternoon, if
you would like to call them to send me supplies, please ask specifically
what is on the list.  With so many offers I don't want to get 20 water
bottles when what I really need is Nutrical.  I hope no one takes that the
wrong way, I really do appreciate everything everyone has done.  But, there
are things the ferrets do and don't need, and this will be the best way to
make sure they get what they need.

I also need someone to act as a clearinghouse for people who want to adopt.
If you have time, a computer and are really well organized, please let me
know.

If you make candles as a hobby (please, don't go spending money to buy
them!) and want to send me some jar type candles with a "spice" scent,
these ferrets stink to high heaven, and the smell is permeating into the
house.  I'd love to be able to hide it.

Paper Towels, Odoban, Synphenol 3, Rocal

Nutrical, toys for the rescues, Pet Tinic--this is needed for jills who
are becoming anemic, pelletized newspaper litter, TF, 8&1 Ultimate

My address is

Anne Ryan
127 Aspen Dr
North Brunswick, NJ 08902

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart!  Got to get back to shoveling
poop!

Anne