From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:45:06 -0500
Once again I am encountering some people who are confusing the FML and
the FHL, or who think that the posts that I carry from the FML (for
which I receive a number of thnak you letters from people who find them
helpful) are actually from me even though they aren't, or who think that
I carry replies back which would just be way too much work.

The FML is the marvelous Ferret Mailing List which has been around for 16
or 17 years now and has been moderated by Bill Gruber for most of that
time (begun by Chris Lewis but even before he became moderator Bill
provided the anonymity feature for folks in FFZs).  It has not only a
list but LOADS of special features, faqs, and archives -- a number of
which are listed near the top of every FML.  I can't recall any of the
special features that weren't added by Bill.

The FHL is more recent.  The late Christopher Bennett began it in early
2001.  It has a few rules (which have to be followed because they were
mostly designed by vets for vets, and that vet participation is what
allows the list to perform its specific function of helping with health
related problems.  The current moderators are Mike Janke, Pam Sessoms,
Dr. Bruce Williams, Troy Lynn Eckart, and myself.  There are files,
compilations, and other features besides the list.

Here are the needed [FHL] addresses:
Group Home:    http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/ferrethealth
Archives:      http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/
To Join:       [log in to unmask]
Group Email:   [log in to unmask]
Manager Email: [log in to unmask]
To Leave:      [log in to unmask]

BOTH of the these resources, the FML and the FHL, are gold mines of
information in lists, archives, and other features.  If you haven't
tried anything beyond the list(s) you are in for a treat when you do.

>This is confusing as here in the UK a fitch is a ferret, yet the above
>statement makes it sound as though a fitch and a ferret are two
>different species.

Yeah, and who ever said that English is one language? ;-)  In the States
fitch refers to lines of ferrets ferrets bred for fur instead of for long
lives beyond breeding years.  Pet stock ferrets in the U.S  originally
referred to ones that were bred for temperament and health (also true of
the research stock which was largely the same), BUT then the demand for
fancies kicked in as well as demand for more ferrets and more sources
than had been needed when not many had ferrets in their families, and fur
stock ferrets (fitches here) wound up mixed in to breed a pile of fancies
without any possible health and longevity implications being considered
first.  That straighten out bonnet from hood, lorrie from truck, etc.?
LOL!  (I know that you know these differences, Tony, and so do British
folks in the ferret community who have had long interactions with others
in the U.S., but you are right that those not used to the nomenclature
differences would find it confusing.)