From:
Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 17:11:26 +1000
Dan, I tend to take in the "unadoptables" (old, blind, biters, ailing
etc) so I can share a little of what I do in a case like yours.

First, the name: When there is already one of the same in the household,
I tend to change the name slightly so that I and my family and friends
know which ferret we are talking about without too much impact on the
ferret.  For instance; Gizmo became Fizmo, Oscar became Boscar, Ziggy
became Siggy and Treasure became Pleasure.  Perhaps Sam could be Champ,
Slam, Wham or something.

Depending on the individual ferret, some settle and bond within a few
hours while others can take longer.  Because Sam has not been positively
diagnosed you may have a little time up your sleeve.  However, when a
ferret does need surgery I tend to deal with it sooner than later.  They
are extremely forgiving little creatures and I think that they adjust
more readily when they feel healthy.

Good luck with you new fur-kids.
Love & Dooks
Shirley