From:
"Tim C. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 20:40:25 -0400
I just attended my first meeting of the Tristate Ferret Connection,
a local Ferret club. I have just learned that while the State of Ohio
does NOT have a law outlawing Ferrets, they do allow the "local government"
make their own laws regarding Ferrets. In other words each county, city,
township or whatever can outlaw Ferrets themselves. The City of Sharonville
of Hamilton County has such a law, but according to the club they will not
take any action unless a complaint of some kind is filed. Note: that the
County of Hamilton does not have a "anti-ferret" law, to my knowledge.
The problem we are now having is what I call the "dominoe effect" is that
surrounding governments are following along. In this case the county of
Warren, which borders the City of Sharonville, decided to follow Sharonville's
lead and now they outlaw Ferrets, thereafter the County of Butler, where
I live, borders Warren County and Sharonville decided to follow the
other two. Also just for reference Franklin County where the City of
Columbus the capital is located also has a law outlawing Ferrets.

My point in all this is, that if you live in the State of Ohio, be careful,
you may be in a FFZ and not even know it. I previously lived in the City
of Cincinnati in Hamilton County and as far as I know, there were no
"anti-ferret" laws, but now after moving just 15 or so miles away, I
find myself in a FFZ! Another point is that if possible you should try to
join a local Club and try to see what you can do to turn this around.
Our club is going to try to work at the State level first then try to use
that as a basis to work on the locals.

-- Tim.