From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 13:18:06 EDT
<sigh>

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone really know why PETCO may have decided
to remove the MF issue from the shelves?  Perhaps, they themselves elected
not to stock the issue for fear of backlash from the ferret community?  One
must admit that they came under heavy scrutiny by us <ferret folk> several
times for several reasons.

Was it complaints about the issue ?  Or did a corporate executive say "Wow!
I remember all the flack we got once before from ferret lovers!  Let's not
take the chance of angering them anymore!".  On how many occasions were
nasty letters sent to PETCO regarding young kits, conditions of cages, etc?

In regard to the MF issue - personal taste is personal taste.  I presently
live in a very Liberal, open minded, personal rights state.  I have lived
in many different states and have seen varying differences on what was
"acceptable".  If someone verbally threatened me with severe physical harm
out here, it is considered freedom of speech.  The same thing in NJ would
get you arrested for Terroristic Threats, in MO it would be a Misdemeanor
Assault.  <please note: the laws in both states may have changed since I
worked there>

I see a lot of things that upset me or offend me.  I have to take it in
stride.  If it really offends me, then I need to turn away from it.  If the
MF issue offends someone, then I don't think they should look at it.  If
one is afraid that children may have nightmares or traumatic occurences
because of the pictures, well - either keep it from them, or have a frank
discussion about reality and make believe.  <Note: I am a former Law
Enforcement Officer and Emergency Services Volunteer - so yes, before you
ask, I have seen plenty of graphic violence that has lead ME to have
nightmares>.

It is not fair to condemn a publication, the publishers, owners, or writers
for something that a person may feel offensive.  Just as we cannot condemn
a group of people because we may feel the attitude or behavior of some is
offensive.

I have found Modern Ferret to be very viable and informative.  It is
another resource that is available to the ferret community.  If a
photograph or article offends me, then I'll skip past it.  Well, maybe
I'll hide it from the fur-kids so THEY don't get upset.  I have a right to
read what I wish to, and see what I wish to.  To deny me of something
because someone else is offended by it is censorship.

I don't believe I may have said anything to offend anyone, however, if I
did I apologize in advance.  If necessary to flame, please do so direct:

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Critter Crew
Featuring the ~~~Terrific~~~Tumultous~~~Twelve~~~
~Furrice~Simon~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Socks~Cuddles~Java~Rascal~Miss Priss~
~Cinna~Racer~
Guest STAR - ~Fur-Angel Lady~
Cast Appearance by - Min-Pins Geordi and Jaida
Missing our friends - Kimo the Sumo Cat (and Honorary Fert) and fellow
ferts ~Petey~, ~Nibbler~, ~Max~, ~Romeo~, and ~Bandit~
Saying "Hey!" to ~Pandora~, ~Noser~ and the rest of the Tennessee
Brat Pack !!