From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:53:24 -0500
>From:    Laura Palmer - The Company of Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: hypothyroidism in ferts
>Does anyone know anything about hypothyroidism in ferts or can you direct
>me to someone who does or somewhere there is something written?
>Specifically looking for parameters of norms to use in bloodwork and
>dosage levels for meds.

Our shelter mascot, Sammy, who passed away a year or so ago, had
hypothyroidism.  I understand that it's pretty rare and when I posted about
Sammy's passing, Bruce Williams wrote to me and asked if he could see
Sammy's medical records because he had not seen this condition in a ferret.
I photocopied all the records, mailed them and some time afterwards, asked
him what he thought.  He said from what he saw in the records, it did
appear that Sammy was hypothyroid.

I'm sorry, I no longer have those records or any of the information that
was in them.  To the best of my recollection (which ain't that great!), the
blood component or maybe it was the test was called "T4" ??  The drug used
to treat him was Siloxin or something like that.  Not a lot of help, I know.

You should try to contact Bruce Williams.  He may have some useful
information for you or your vet.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club and Rescue, Inc.
*
* Visit our shelter's web site: http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC