From:
"Karen E. Marsh-Lovvorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 11:58:27 -0500
Hello All:

One of my shelter ferrets (3 y.o.  albino male) got into a fight with
another 2 weeks ago, and though he seemed fine immediately after, he slowed
down, then stopped eating within a few days.  I noticed hind leg weakness
and took him to the vet, who said there was neuromuscular damage.  She did a
glucose test (normal, though on the low end) and put him on 4" of Nutri-Cal
a day & steroids (don't remember name) once a day x 5 days, then every other
day x 3.  He's finished the steroids now, but still won't eat!  I tried
mushing up ferret food with water, as well as turkey baby food.  He wasn't
interested.  Force feeding with a syringe results in both of us covered with
food & more ON him than IN him!  He's lost a lot of weight, sleeps most of
the time, & seems to have very little energy, though when I make him get up
and move around, he'll go full tilt for 5-10 minutes, then fall asleep
again.  The hind leg weakness seems to be getting worse, particularly on
linoleum floors.  He'll still take the Nutrical, though only about 2" a day
before he flatly refuses anymore.  I've seen him eating ferret food a few
times (but not much) & he's drinking o.k.  Poops look like Nutri-Cal, but a
little darker and runnier.  I'm at my wits' end!  Does this ferret have a
death wish???  Any help, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated!

Karen
Rogues Gallery Ferret Shelter
Durham, NC