From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:17:51 -0400
Very tricky situation you are in . . . some thoughts/suggestions ...
starting with the low-key and escalating  . . .

Very low key - Play to the teacher's self interest.  Indicate you believe
the ferret is ill and may need vet care.
a) will the teach cough up the $'s for a vet visit?  If not, you will,
of course, be happy to do so, but you need to work with the teacher
to explain to the students WHY the ferret needs to leave forever.
2 suggestions:
a) it;s coming to the need of the school year and
2) the ferret needs to have a forever home.

Escalation 1: Suggest a discussion with the principal.  The ferret is
not doing well in the classroom environment.  If you wish to reference
an expert, I will be more than happy to provide a letter indicating that
the Ferret Assn of CT (for what this is worth) does NOT condone ferrets
as a class "project." No more than a class should have a dog or a cat in
the classroom.  Ferrets are social carnivores that require interaction
and constant supervision.  A classroom environment provides neither.  We
do not condone adoption of ferrets by "nature centers" or the like for
precisely those reasons.  No one keeps cats or dogs in such a place other
than incidentally along with a trusted owner/caretaker.

Escalation 2: File a complaint with the principal AND/or the Board of
Education.  You are a ferret owner who clearly is aware of the needs of
this pet.  Your child is in this class and you are beginning to become
upset with the lack of care and appropriate attention being provided
this animal.  It is NOT a reflection on the teacher ... rather it is a
concern for the animal AND your child.

An aside here --- one of the key issues pet owners stumble over is
emotion.  We are emotionally concerned with the needs of our pets and
animals.  We need to understand that many people do NOT feel that
emotional connection - therefore, to pursue an agenda, we need to put
ourselves in the other person's shoes and address THEIR interests and
concerns.  Usually they are not very far apart.... it is an educational
issue, rather than an emotional one.

Escalation 3: While you indicate inviting in the humane society is not
where you want to go, I personally think it is an option.  Perhaps of
last resort.  My personal feeling is that this whole classroom pet thing
should go the way of the dinosaur unless it is the teacher's personal pet
that is coming and going daily with the teacher.  They need to own and
consequently be responsible for the animal.  Goldfish are one thing...
warm blooded mammals are another.

Bottom Line: Ownership (and hence responsibility) is the issue.  Who
owns the ferret?  the school?  the teacher?  or you?  Ownership defines
responsibilities.  Here in CT if you own an animal you are required to
provide certain basic requirements.  You may need to research your state
laws and regs to help your case.  What you do have going for you is being
an experienced owner.  You may need to get the support and observations
of your vet (the professional) to augment your observations.  Put
togehter, I don't think the teacher will have a leg to stand on.

-----

Good luck and I do hope others weigh in with other suggestions.  There is
nothing worse than being on the loosing end of trying to do the best for
a pet that has crossed your path.  At FACT we've had to return foundlings
to people that we had good reason not to trust.  But legally, we had no
choice.

When that happens we have to hold our breath and do our best to
positively move the owners to appropriate behavior.

BIG - my email is probably overly long!  My apologies!

Ann Gruden
Ferret Assn of CT - FACT