Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 07:54:40 EST
First, this is in no way a comment on Randy Horton's shelter or any of the
claims made by the poster against his operation.  I don't know Randy, don't
know anyone associated with his shelter, have never been there and have no
idea what the conditions there are like.  But I do have to say, I was very
sorry to see the posting by "Anonymous" about him.  I believe that anyone
who makes such claims publicly has an obligation to stand behind their
words.  Newspapers do not allow "anonymous" writers to publish letters to
the editor.  No reporter would accept "anonymous" verbal or unnamed written
accusations as the source for a published story.  Can you imagine if your
neighbor or co-worker got pissed at you someday and decided to accuse you,
without having to put his or her name to those accusations?  There would be
an awful lot of cowards out there trying to make trouble for people without
having to take responsibility for it.  And insisting on anonymity makes me
wonder about the credibility -- or at least the fortitude -- of the
accuser.

I believe that henceforth, this list moderator should not allow "anonymous"
charges of this nature to be published unless the writer is willing to put
his or her name behind it.  If they can't, then they probably don't have
the evidence to back up their words.

Susann Viafora