From:
Robert Malick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 1994 08:35:25 -0400
Excerpts from mail: 8-Jul-94 Ferret List Issue 883 Ferret Mailing
List@ferr (16828)

> Avi, the 1 1/2 year old female I just bought has this habit of emptying
> her food dish onto the floor of her cage.  She seems to do this less
> with the different food I have bought, but still does it.  Is she
> telling me something or storing it for another day or what?  She also
> grabbed a mouthful once and took it to the closet.  Should I just leave
> it there for awhile?  (It's dry cat food)

My ferret did this all the time when I tried to feed her her food in a
dish.  I finally found out what she was terying to tell me.  What she
wanted to do is lie down and eat and she couldn't do this with a side of
a bowl in the way, so she would dump the food out to eat it.

So what I did (and am doing) is putting her food on a towel that I bunch
up to form a kind of bowl with a part of it open.  She then can lie down
on the towel and eat like she wants and her food doesn't go all over.
Of course be sure to wash the towel regularly.

Hope this helps.

        Rob,
        aka "Watcher of deeds and learner of wants"