From:
Lori Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:05:16 -0700
Zen said:
>Vast portions of the world (you do know this is a global list not
>just US) have no ferret shelters.  Vast portions of the US as well.  ITs
>silly to impose your myoptic view on some one in Pennsylvania when there
>is a shortage of ferrets in Montana.  Or such.

Just wanted to second this from my own experience.  When we lived in WA it
seemed as if ferrets were as common as cats and dogs.  When we took Mojo
out and about, we didn't have to do a lot of ferret education as everyone
we met either had ferrets, used to have ferrets, knew someone who had
ferrets, etc.  Ferrets were readily available in pet stores, from breeders,
from shelters.  There are plenty of ferret activities.

This is definitely not the case in Amarillo, TX where we are currently
parked.  When we take Mojo and Wilbur out and about we spend lots of time
dispelling ignorance.  Many people's only exposure has been to the Bud
ferret.

The nearest ferret shelter is in Albuquerque, NM (and a darn fine one it
is!).  DFW has stuff going on but there's ECE exposure so that's right out
for us.  There is one pet store in Amarillo that sells ferrets, but it's
predominantly a herp store.  Ferrets get short shrift there.  Amarillo has
are no ferret clubs, no shows, no frolics, no nuthin.  Heck, FFZ's have
more vibrant ferret communities!!!!!!!!!!

In our travels (extensive in southern US) we've seen that some areas have
reached ferret saturation while other areas haven't even seen a ferret.
Overpopulation isn't the problem -- geographic distribution is.

As to Modern Ferret -- if you want to show support for Mary & Eric, now may
be a really good time to buy those back issues you've been coveting!

-Lo

-Lori