From:
Kelleen & The INSANE 10 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 00:25:03 -0800
I would just like to say to all that may ever need to put weight on a ferret
that doesn't seem to like anything offered, that something mentioned here
really did the trick for me.  After Lightstar had his spleen removed I
wanted to get some much needed weight on him so I tried the Deliver 2.0
liquid food supplement mentioned here before.  He adores this yummy and got
it 2 or 3 times daily back then.  Plus all my other 8 love it too and got it
once in awhile as a treat.  I did have to warm it for about 8 sec. in the
microwave to get them to really like it at 1st and also had to scruff them
and put some on their tongues the very 1st time for most of them to find it
was truly yummy.

I knew a person with a VERY picky little fert that had been ill and needed a
good nutrition source during recovery and she wouldn't try anything offered.
They brought her over to meet us and I warmed up a portion of the Deliver
and scruffed her and all that and then she sat in my arms and drank every
last drop to the amazement of her parents.  Lightstar after 1 to 1 1/2
months put on 3/4 of a pound!  Not so quickly as to be pure fat or anything.
Even the Vet was amazed at this.  Lightstar really needed the added weight
and now he does great.  I see only good things in his future I hope.  You
don't want to give so much that they get diarreah but sometimes the poopy is
a bit foamy after eating this.  I gave Lightbug approx.  3 teaspoons per
serving and he weighed about 2 lbs.  then.  It is vanilla in flavor but is
tanish in color.  Kind of sweet tasting, and really quite good in taste I
think myself.  For those that are not familiar with this product or just
joined the FML the info. on it is below.

Deliver 2.0
************
Liquid food supplement
Made by MeadJohnson Co.
Dense High Calorie = so they don't have to eat much to get the nutrition
& calories needed
Obtained from any pharmacy but has to be ordered
Price varies from $24 to $36 for a case of 12  8 oz. cans
Needs refrigeration after opening
Needs drank within 48 hours of opening (I freeze small servings and
defrost it when wanted)

I found the best price for it at a membership type club called COSTCO from
their pharmacy.  The price varied greatly around here so check everywhere
you can.  Good idea to give as a treat maybe once a week to all ferrets
since if they ever do get ill then they will already love this stuff and you
can feed them it during that time to avoid severe weight loss.  Just like
giving the baby food as a treat this will save valuable time when they are
ill since weight loss only complicates their problem more.  Mine still get
it occasionally just to remind them how darn yummy this stuff is:-).  Hope
this helps anyone out there.

*      Kelleen & the INSANE Animal House              *
*      President and Founder of F.A.N.G.              *
*      (Ferret Association of Neverending Glee)       *
*      405 S. Orchard   Boise, Idaho  83705           *
*   I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday!  *
*   All they want is lots of love and great chow.     *
*         Idiocy is our only option!                  *
*     Dustin Hoffman from movie Outbreak              *