From:
Megan Dahlem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 01:07:40 -0800
I suppose I'll de-lurk now and saw hi and add my opinion to the list.

To whoever it was the mentioned the upcoming movie with the ferret it's:
"The Big Labowski" (or however you spell it..) I'm going to have to go see
it just for the ferret :)

Regarding descenting:

Ferrets can "poof" in their sleep..  It's usually when they're dreaming and
are frightened in some way (like being startled out of a deep sleep).  I
have never had a scented ferret before..  All of mine have been MF's
ferrets..  (So I am by no means an expert on that one..)

I do have a question: I recently acquired an adorable little ball of fuzz..
When I first saw him I could swear that he was about 5-6 wks old, max..  I
was told at the pet store that they were 7 wks old however I had just
brought home a 9 wk old that was twice the size, off solid food and had all
his permanent teeth..  Which age was incorrect?  And why are they being sold
so young?  These little guys weren't even off soft food yet..  Granted, I
have no problem raising a little guy but what about the uneducated ferret
owners?  And if they were 7 wks at the time that they got to the store and
had completely healed from their surgeries... At what age are they being
neutered/spayed????  For future ferrets, I am definitely going to look into
buying from a breeder (or adopting) because of all the adrenal problems that
I've read about.

Is there a way to petition the ferret "mills" to sell with something like a
rebate after they have been spayed/neutered??  Or have the stores recommend
a vet that will do it for free and have them sell the ferrets at a price
that includes the fee??  It's just a thought--but what do you guys think??

Regarding Totally Ferret:

The reason that it turns ferrets yellow is the corn in it..  Or the chicken
by-product from chickens fed a lot of corn.  (Apparently it is something
that neither chickens nor ferrets can digest--or so I've read) I've been
mixing it in with Eukanuba (it's a cat food but it fits all requirements and
is just as good as TF).  TF sure made my albino big and yellow!  For my two
kits, I make sure that they get more of the eukanuba than the TF (I just mix
it in at a lower concentration--besides, it's more expensive).

~ Megan
fuzzie pics: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~mdahlem/fuzzies.htm