Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 02:36:58 +1200
I was planning on leaving the breeding issue alone for a while, until I
read what had happened to those poor kits and jill.  Really, even basic
care would have meant the jill wouldn't have had a problem with mastitis,
and the kits would still be able to see today!  Daily inspections of the
animals are not only advised, but IMO necessary for the good welfare of the
animals.  I'm not sure if anyone else noticed the dates, but I'm absolutely
astonished that when one litter is conceived, another could be conceived
such a long time afterwards and the owner not know that the hob is whole.
I can understand one litter, or two if it's around the same time, but two
litters so far apart in age?  Even with two supposedly vasectomised hobs,
which they were supposed to be (she wouldn't know unless a case like this
happened), once one jill was pregnant, it would surely be obvious that
something wasn't right.

Anyone passing ferrets on should at the very least vaccinate them, which I
noticed wasn't done, and an alter contract or agreement should have been
signed so that the ferrets were definitely neutered.  Especially since the
background of the animals wasn't known, and the genetic defects in the
lines are not unknown.

I can understand, after having a sudden influx of kits, having to place
them.  After all, they take up a lot of time and money, kits need a lot
of attention and since they're growing they're more expensive to feed
than adults.  No matter how much they take though, the risk of distemper
is too high for just assuming that anyone will vaccinate them.

Debbie has already told me that she doesn't want to listen to anyone who
doesn't agree with her (she's said that by telling me she refuses to read
any posts on the subject by myself and a few other comments)  Personally, I
do not feel that I've flamed her.  Other than my first two posts to the FML
(which I also sent to her direct as a courtesy to allow her to respond in
the same issue) I have not sent her any emails privately.  I have stated
my own position in this case, explained why her statement is, in my view,
flawed.  In attempting to give her another opinion, I have essentially been
told that I am ignorant, selfish, and that I don't do anything to help
ferrets, in fact she gives the impression that I actually make things
*worse* for ferrets because I breed.  The only posts on Debbie's side of
the issue that I've seen has been Debbies.  I've seen several posts by
several people stating the same or a similar view to my own.  However,
Debbie has stated to me and to the list, that she has received 'over 100'
issue.  When asked about the numbers, she has stated that the people who
approached her are afraid of flames.  The Law of Averages states that at
least *one* person agreeing with Debbie will have posted, it also states
that at least one other person would have contacted her with a position
similar to my own.

A sampling of the posts sent to Debbie, without names and email addresses,
if she so pleases (to 'protect' those who emailed her) would convince me at
least that there really are all those people who hold the same position.

I do not believe that I have been anything but polite on this issue.  I
have stated my case, and *yes* I was angry, so I wasn't as calm as I
usually endeavour to be.  I agreed that irresponsible breeders shouldn't
breed.  They shouldn't, as they result in sick animals, animals with
genetic defects, or in animals which 'flood the market' as has happened in
Michigan in recent years.  Those are irresponsible breeders, who breed for
the money, then when they find there *is* no money, they dump their animals
for free or low charges just to 'get rid of them'.  I do not agree that all
breeders should shut their operations down, because I believe that it would
be detrimental.  Stopping small breeders from breeding would give the large
breeders the leeway they wanted to get a firmer grip on the 'consumer
market' and mean that ferrets are only available through pet stores, which
FMLers have been fighting against for a long time.

The breeding topic has, thus far, been one without any flames, which I've
been grateful for.  Let's hope it stays that way, and points of view can be
looked at without others sticking fingers in their ears and yelling so they
don't hear the other position.  I can understand *why* Debbie feels the way
she feels.  It's an emotional response.  I can understand that.  I can't
understand why she seems to feel that her opinion needs to be thrust on
those who possibly have a greater understanding of the topic at hand.

Sam
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful
committed people can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

If everyone got together ferrets would be treated fairly.
http://www.ferretfans.net