From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 19:58:58 -0700
Dear everyone,

This message is too all those who expressed concern and sent well wishes
to my Cael boy.  I believe I responded to each of you individually as I
received your kind notes over the last few weeks.  This is too let you know
that my Cael boy has gone to the Bridge.  I would have written to each of
you, but my heart is not in two dozen separate messages.

He has been getting sicker over the last weeks, with no hope coming from
the doctor, and I had made the descision today to help him along.  I waited
for a call back from my vet all afternoon, but discovered the message
wasn't given to him before he left in the afternoon.  I sat at my desk
at work and cried on the phone with my mother about having to make this
choice.  I ran some errands on the way home from work, and when I arrived,
only four ferrets could be found.  My heart stopped, and I knew.  I
searched and searched, but couldn't find Cael anywhere.  Finally, I looked
in one of my dryer tubes.  This was Cael's favorite toy when he was young,
but at some point he got too fat for the smaller one, and stopped going in
it.  This is where I found him.  Nose barely poking out, looking content,
as though he were asleep in his favorite spot.

I buried him in his favorite cozy bed, still in the tube.  I put in his
hacky sack and a note from a friend.  He is buried in the yard, with blue
flowers over top.  I don't know what they are called, but they are little
lilies that bloom first thing in the spring, all at once in a burst, then
go away, blend in with the grass until the fireworks the following spring.

I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  Every word meant
so much to me.

Melissa Barnes
Mira, Tasha, Robin and Nietzsche
Missing our Cael