From:
Charles & Melissa Dyess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:47:52 -0400
Hi, this is my first post here to the FML, so if I ramble please bear
with me.

As many of you know, awhile back Jerri Carel retired as operator of The
Ferret Haven out of Louisville, KY. Jerri did a wonderful job and saved
a lot of ferrets. I learned a lot volunteering there. Thank you Jerri.

But, there was a need still for a ferret shelter. So, myself, Sheri
Steinbach and Angela Showalter stepped up and Jerri transferred the
shelter to us. We no longer have a central "shelter". We each keep
several fosters, i.e., sick elderly and unadoptable and we juggle the
adoptables between us. We have two or three other foster families
that help lighten the load a bit and several volunteers that help in
different areas. We all three work full time jobs and have families
that we juggle along with the shelter operations. It has been
interesting. I love every baby that comes through for no matter long
I have them. I know my partners do too.

We keep most of our fundraising local within the Louisville community.
I make bedding but with everything I do it tends to take a back seat.
Besides with all the outstanding competition out there it would be to
hard to break into the business. There are some wonderful supporters
who do things like candle sales and we just had a Tastefully Simple
party that was lots of fun. We do a lot of bake sales and chili sales
in the fall. And of course we put a lot out of pocket.

Now we are adding eBay. Sunday I posted a custom painted ceramic ferret
bank. I painted this one myself and boy it was hard for me to put it up
there. It's a little different and if you would like to take a look you
can check it out at
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Painted-Ferret-Bank-In-Muscle-Car-Style-/221129797550>
Hope I got that right. I am terribly computer illiterate.

Thank you for taking the time to read about us and I hope to get the
chance to get to know all of you better. And if you have Facebook you
can like us at of course The Ferret Haven!

Melissa Dyess
The Ferret Haven -- Louisville, KY