From:
Megan Irvine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:11:42 -0500
I don't know if anyone has been reading my postings, but I thought that
I would give a follow-up and ask if anyone has any advice on Bear's
situation.  After Bear's major surgery of removing 2 lymph nodes, an
adrenal gland, 2 hairballs from his stomach and a tumor from his pancreas,
the pieces were sent off to another vet to get tested.  The 1st vet that
tested the tissues said that everything looked fine except for the
pancreatic mass.  He said that it was an insulinoma tumor and in response
to that, Bear was put on the following meds 2 x a day: Prednisone (.3cc),
Baytril (1cc), Carafate (1.5cc), Diazoxide (.25cc) & Brewer's Yeast (1/4
tab).  I have been giving him this for the past 2 weeks since his surgery.
My vet wanted to get a 2nd opinion and sent the tissue on to another vet
to get tested again.  The results came back yesterday saying that the
pancreatic mass doesn't look like insulinoma, but looks like carcinoma.
She also stated that the lymph nodes revealed lymphoma.  With the change
of diagnosis, my personal vet changed Bear's meds to the following: wean
him off of Baytril, Carafate & Diazoxide, but continue the Brewer's Yeast
and Prednisone.  She also wants me to add Vitamin C (56-110 2 x a day) and
Pau D'arco (a homeopathic herb in liquid form 3-5 drops 2 x a day).  I'm
going to bring him in next week so that she can assess him again.

Not an exciting posting, but if anyone has any thoughts on this, I would
welcome the comments!

Thanks in advance and lots of love to all of the cute fuzzies out there!

Megan, Jewel, Bear & Chewie the cat