From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:07:36 -0400
I agree that it's fantastic whenever someone will adopt an elderly or
sick ferret.  But, it is in my opinion, the shelters' decision to
determine if a ferret is "unadoptable".  Shelters make huge sacrifices
and efforts to help the ferrets that come into their care.  Then after
seeing the neglect and mistreatment that the first homes have given, they
have to screen new owners best they can and send these ferrets back out
into the world.  I think it's understandable if, after what some ferrets
have been through or in consideration of the large amount of care one
might need, the shelter makes the decision continue to care for the
ferret themselves, rather than sending the needy ferret back into the
world with trusting hope.

I also think the majority of "unadoptables" are probably due to the
ferrets' needs rather than the potential owners.  I don't think it is
as often that the owners can't do it, but that the ferret can't.  Some
ferrets have been so stressed from change or neglect that it takes a lot
for them to finally trust a situation and be happy.  After working so
hard to gain a mistrusting ferret's love I can see why a shelter wouldn't
want to break that trust and send them to yet another home.  For some
ferrets this is too much to deal with and they couldn't make yet another
transition.  The shelter needs to evaluate their rescues and make the
decision based on the individual ferret.  If they feel a ferret is not a
good candidate for adoption, that is understandable.  A shelter is still
a home.  It is the only home a lot of ferrets will ever know.  And it is
a good one, if not always the most ideal for both shelter and ferret.  If
someone truly connects with an unadoptable I would imagine the shelter
wou ld work to make it happen if it was in the best interest of the
ferret.  And until then, there are generally lots of "adoptables"
needing forever homes.

Risa