From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:36:19 -0400
Hi, Jessica!

First, I should explain something to you, to be sure you understand the
differences.  Having a ferrets' "scent glands" removed does NOT make the
ferret smell better.  A ferret uses scent glands much like a skunk does--to
poof out a bad odor to scare away a threat.  This has nothing to do with
the ferret's natural odor.  In order to help with a ferret's natural odor,
including litter box smells, you should consult a veteranarian on products
that can be added to a ferret's food or water, to help reduce the musky
smell that ferrets tend to have.

There is a product available here in the United States called "Bi-Odor",
produced by Marshall Farms (the same place that breeds ferrets for sale
as pets, as well as for research).  I don't know if it is available on
Australian pet shops, but you may be able to purchase it over the Internet
from The Ferret Store (www.ferretstore.com) and have it shipped to you.
From what I understand, after about one to two weeks, your ferret's body
odor and the smells from the litter box should be drastically reduced, if
you can get your ferret to take it.  It can be put on your ferret's food,
or it can be mixed with the water.

As for shots, your ferret should at least receive a Distemper series and a
Rabies series.  To find out specifics, go to www.ferretcentral.org and read
all about how to get your ferret fixed up with shots, vitamins and other
healthy things.  This is a fantastic site to find out just about everything
there is to know about ferrets.

Good luck with your ferret and I hope you have many, many hours of
happiness and joy with your little furry bunch!

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
Help a Shelter!
http://GiftsAndCollectibles.sites.cc/