From:
Beth Comarow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:02:47 EDT
>From [log in to unmask] (Christy)
>My vet has recommended against surgery due to the risks involved.  But he
>did mention that there was a vet in the DC area who has developed a chemo
>for this type of ferret cancer and was awaiting approval from the FDA.

Christy, hi.  Ela forwarded me your post from the fml (for some reason I
can't open it these days).  First, I'm assuming your ferret is not a good
surgical candidate for some reason, like too old or not in good health
otherwise?

There's a possibility that your vet may be referring to giving injections
of Lupron or one of another two drugs that have been studied recently buy a
vet near DC - Dr. Charles Weiss at Potomac Animal Hospital.  The injectable
medications aren't chemotherapy, and are very safe, no side effects.  They
relieve many of the adrenal symptoms, including hair loss, though are not
a cure.  Your veterinarian can call Dr. Weiss at (301) 299-4142 at the
hospital for details.

As you may know, many adrenal tumors are not cancer, they are benign -
but perhaps your vet is sure the tumor is cancerous.  Dr. Weiss also has
written up a study on bi-lateral adrenalectomies (not published yet) in
case another surgery is a possibility, and he has referred to that hospital
for chemo treatments for certain conditions, so could discuss all of that
with your vet as well.  Maybe other folks have other info.  Good luck -

Beth