From:
Megan Irvine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:14:15 -0500
Hello all!  I am in search of some information on my ferret, Bear.  I have
an excellent vet who has been taking such great care of my 2 geriatric
ferrets, Jewel and Bear, but Bear has stumped her.  He has a mass in his
stomach that looks to her like a furball.  She has been giving him enzymes
in his food to hopefully aid in breaking down the size of the mass so that
he can pass it rather than surgically remove it.  He was doing better on
Friday, so they sent him home with me this past weekend.  Unfortunately,
in the early hours of Monday morning, I stayed up with him because he was
grinding his teeth repeatedly and seemed lethargic and depressed.  His
blood sugar level is normal and he isn't blocked internally because he is
doing his duty just fine.  I took him into the vet on Monday morning and
he is still there.  The vet updated me last night on his status and isn't
sure what the problem is.  She is putting him on Tagamet and some other
medicine, but wants to go in surgically in a couple of days if he doesn't
improve.  Whatever helps him to feel better is fine with me, but I'm
curious if anyone else has seen this behavior of constant teeth grinding
or heard of any of these other symptoms in their ferrets.

If anyone has any ideas or questions about it, I would greatly appreciate
any thoughts on this.

Thanks so much!

Megan & Co. (Jewel, Bear and Chewie)

--