From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:32:56 -0500
Carolyn Kinsey,

You sound like you have a personal vendetta against veterinarians,
especially when it comes to the cost of veterinary care.  Veterinary medical
costs are VERY cheap compared to human medical costs.  What would YOU have
paid for spending 3 days in the hospital???  And do you have any idea what
it costs to attend veterinary school today?  Depending on the veterinary
school and not including the undergraduate education, approximately $60,000
to $100,000.  And the average salary of a new graduate is only $31,000.  So
needless to say, the education costs (usually through educational loans),
not to mention the personal time and sacrifices of completing the education,
is a high price to pay for a rather moderate salary.

As far as your comments on ferret health issues, I agree with the previous
post stating that you should be cautious when providing advice.  Your advice
may be helpful in some instances but potentially detrimental in others (i.e.
giving SQ fluids at home without being trained.  I think this was one of
your posts?).  For example, how many ferrets are going to allow you to do a
"dentistry" while being awake?  Maybe you have success stripping the tartar
off (which is not a complete dentistry and leaves plaque on the teeth for
more plaque to adhere too and form tartar again), but that doesn't mean all
ferret owners would have the same success.  And many owners may get bitten
as well.  Which, if the bite is severe enough, could lead to a
bite-associated bacterial infection in the owner's hand.  Finally, Bill's
soap-boxy response was accurate.

IMHO, I wish you would [...  BIG] only provide information that is valuable
to all ferret owners and that is not potentially detrimental to the animals
or owners.  Although you may be a knowledgable and experienced veterinary
technician, you are NOT licensed to practice veterinary medicine.

Scott Perkins, VMD, MPH

[Moderator's note: This was slightly edited with Dr. Perkins' permission.
He asked that his email address not be given, and I complied with his
request.  Note that I don't feel people should post anonymously only to
shield themselves from the flames that might result from their controversial
opinions, but there were other acceptable reasons for his request.  BIG]