From:
Eric Sampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 09:25:53 EST
Howdy all! First, a word of many thanks to the Drs. Williams and Weiss,
and all the others who have so freely shared their expertise.  Without
knowing it, you all helped save my little critter.  Also, thanks to BIG
for being the keeper of the fuzzy forum.

Started to write this earlier and then saw Douglas' posting, but I reckon
it still merits saying:  Yes, by all means read the FAQs.  It was in
those files that I first read of ferrets reacting to routine
vaccinations, and that it was a good idea to hang around the vet's office
for a half-hour or so.  Without getting too deep in the details, while we
were vaccinating my two critters I mentioned to my vet the possibility of
an allergic reaction (he doesn't have a _lot_ of experience w/ferrets,
but he brings a lot of common sense to the table, which is why I trust
him).  I told him that we would wait in the lobby a while just in case,
and he thought that was a good idea.  Sure enough, my one-year-old little
girl, Molly,  had a reaction and started to go into shock. The vet and
his staff reacted like lightning.  They quickly got her stabilized,
started on ringers, and wrapped on a really neat fluid-filled heating
pad.  We were there for about an hour, and when her color was good and
her breathing strong, we took her home where, a mere two hours later, she
was droopy-eyed but wanted to play.  We quieted her down some and then
took turns checking on her throughout the night.  I guess the point of
all this is that I would not have known to be on the watch for a reaction
had it not been for this list and the FAQ's.  Thanks to everyone.

To Fitch:  Dude!  Good to hear you're getting around again!  Scared the
beepers out of us.

To Charminator: " A Union?  Hey, where do I sign?"---Taz

"I wanna ride the rabbit, too!"---Molly

"Send help!"---Eric & Jill, the humans

Eric Sampson