From:
Michele Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:31:33 -0500
Hi All,

I am not one to ask for help, but I seriously need it. Boots, Maxey,
Newt, Repeat & Chaser, the ferrets are all doing well. However, their

Here's what has been happening for the past 3 months.....

Molly had been lame on and off since running in the woods at Christmas
time. Since that time we have done x-rays, an aspiration, a biopsy and
more x-rays. The biopsy came back non-cancerous. The x-rays showed
there was some sort of abnormality the size of a walnut, but couldn't
tell what it could be - possibly a break, or ocd or some sort of bone
eating disease. We have waited 4 weeks between each visit to see if it
will grow, heal and watch it only to find out that it's getting worse.
Therefore, amputation was the only option since it was the humorous and
the abnormality is in such a strange area.

So, she had her leg amputated this afternoon. The surgery took about
2 hours. The vet said it went well and during the amputation, he saw
muscle atrophy. He also said, that the lymph node he removed was dark
in color and enlarged. He said it should be about a kidney bean size
and light - pinkish. It was dark and about the size of a nickel. He is
sending the lymph node and the humorous in to the lab and we will find
out if this is cancerous within the next few weeks.

I went to visit Molly tonight. She was resting on her side and quiet
when I got there. I started petting her and talking to her and she
was whining (from the anesthesia and hearing me) and wagging her tail
quiet a bit. She obviously knew I was there! I sat with her for a few
minutes, pet her and talked to her. It was great to see her. Before I
left, I saw the vet. He said since our conversation after surgery, he
dissected her humorous and scapula and according to just looking at the
humorous, feels that this injury is from a trauma. (Without actually
showing you my hands and how I am describing this is hard so I will do
my best) He said that the top of the humorous was damaged lengthwise
and was breaking away and the body was trying to grow this bone back,
but it was only growing the fibrous tissue. This type of injury is not
able to be pinned or surgically corrected. If it ever healed, which was
not likely, the bone would be very weak and could break again. Since it
was already weak we expected it continue to deteriorate. I look forward
to getting Molly home on Thursday (and I'm sure the rest of the family
is too). It will be quite the weekend of changing bandages, carrying
her outside, and making sure she does not jump on the bed.

As it stands the amputation alone costs $3,300. I've already spent $225
for the first visit, $984 for the aspiration, x-rays, etc; and another
$120 for the follow up visit before surgery, plus all the many pain
medications we have tried to keep her comfortable.

So, I need help funding this.

Due to my 5 year old having Selective Mutism and 30% hearing loss
and having over $4,000 in medical bills that are not covered by my
insurance, this sets us in a tight spot.

I don't want anyone to flame me. I am trying my best to help our dog.

Help me find ways to fund this. Who can I ask for money? What other
ideas do you have? Please brainstorm and let me know.

Please email me privately.

Thanks so much for your help.
 :) Michele