Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:12:42 -0700
>>I read with much heartbreak about the ferrets that were sick and dying
>>due to insecticides in hotel rooms while travelling to shows which
>>makes me ask the question again...at what price a ribbon or trophy?
>
>This could just as easily have happened to someone traveling on
>vacation with their ferrets. Regardless of why the ferrets were in the
>hotel room, the fault lies with the HOTEL. Not with the owners (who had
>their ferrets in a pen and the pen on a mat- - the ferrets never had
>contact with the actual hotel floor).

Yes it could which is why you should always ask if the rooms have been
sprayed or treated. If they have, I would never even let my ferrets in
such a room. Isn't this why we take great precautions in our own homes
and shelters with how we treat insect problems? Why would travelling be
any different? It was a good precaution to put mats down but if it's in
the air, the mats don't help...I would think this would also be bad for
humans.

>Why would you try to make those folks who lost their ferrets feel
>worse about something that was no fault of their own?

I hardly think my post was written to make these folks feel bad. note
that I said I too was heartbroken over their losses. My heart goes out
to those who have lost their babies. The point remains however that
this particular incident DID involve travel to a show and many ferrets
that were exposed to an insecticide laden hotel room and if it weren't
for the quest of ribbons and trophies, this particular incident would
not have happened. Correct? Why can't people just be happy having these
lovable guys as companions? I do not understand the show mentality. I
played steward a couple times just because I got to have hands on with
so many beautiful ferrets. I decided it was not for me because I felt
like every single one was beautiful enough to be a winner and my mind
is not capable of being so critical on every detail it takes to judge.

>>When completing my paperwork for the upcoming AFA show, I notice that
>>the rules are even more stringent regarding vaccinations as your ferret
>>must be vaccinated with a specific Rabies vaccine determined by AFA.
>
>There is only one rabies vaccine that is tested and approved for
>ferrets - Imrab-3 by Merial. This was not determined by the AFA or any
>other show organization - it was determined by the USDA. If another
>rabies vaccine is used, the ferret is not considered protected against
>rabies and if a bite incident occurs, the ferret will need to be put
>down for rabies testing. You may want to read up on your vaccination
>facts :)

I was not aware of that so I thank you for the education....not that I
hold anything approved by our government in very high regard anyway...
every day the FDA approves drugs for human use that have more potential
side effects than the illness your treating for anyway...I don't put my
health in the hands of the FDA and I wouldn't necessarily always put my
animal's health in the hands of the USDA. Determination by USDA does
not necessarily make it fact....now give me an approval by a respected
group of veterinarians and you'll have my vote...just my opinion

As far as canine distemper -- AFA no longer checks the CD records at
the door and are helping with the CD titer study that Dr Heller is
conducting. That shows me that they do care about the over-vaccination
problem.

And I think that is fantastic. Will they also be testing for the Rabies
titer?

>If you (or anyone) has a better idea on how to have a show where you
>can insure the public health in case of a bite incident, as well as
>educate folks on vaccination requirements in ferrets, and yet still
>not cause the ferrets harm by doing yearly vaccines, please feel free
>to share.

I still think that the best pre-caution is personal responsibility,
no matter what the pet. If you handle an animal, you accept the
responsibility of the possibility of being bitten and that
responsibility is on the person who chooses to handle the animal more
so than the animal's owner even. You get bit, you get the appropriate
treatment. If you have an animal that is a known biter, don't let
anyone handle them. Seems pretty simple to me. Vaccinating your animals
is not guarantee that they aren't going to bite and if you're in the
business of breeding or rescuing it is not a matter of if, it's a
matter of when you are going to get bit. Before Rabies, I would be
more worried about a cellulitis infection and if you haven't had a
tetanaus shot you better get one toot sweet. These guys carry alot of
bacteria in their mouths. Been there, done that and got the T shirt.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.