From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:53:19 -0400
I have ferrets living happily in a couple of small groups; each group has
their own room.  Some of them don't like each other and I haven't put the
energy into convincing everyone they should get along.  So sometimes when I
am shuffling them between rooms, there are some wandering around who don't
normally mix.

The other day my large beast Merlin starting beating up on little Clover,
who let out her usual blood curdling shriek.  This brought Prince Charming
running to the rescue, and he chomped down on Merlin's neck and dragged him
off Clover.  I was very proud of Prince Charming's chivalrous behavior,
though truth be told, he is just as often the one who is beating up someone.
But I do think the overly dramatic reaction to a squeaky toy can be a
response to a ferret in distress (or what must sound like one).  So the
ferret 'attacking' you may be trying to drag you off some perceived little
ferret in trouble.  That's my 2 cents on it.

Not that anyone asked, but here's my 2 cents on Marshall Farms and any other
large breeder who sells randomly to pet stores or labs.  I don't perceive
this as an insignificant problem at all.  I am greatly saddened and totally
mystified by people who are constantly defending MF's practices.

I can't think of any dog or cat people who actively support large scale
breeders selling unweaned puppies or kittens to any pet store who will buy
them; or who place ads in scientific magazines saying how nice their kittens
and puppies are for research, not having any idea what kind of research they
will be used for.  I honestly don't understand why people think this is ok
for ferrets.

My personal feeling is, if you bring an animal into this world by deliberate
breeding, then you are 100% responsible for placing that animal into a good
home.  I don't understand how someone can randomly sell to any pet store
under the sun, not knowing how the animals will be treated, if the staff
know anything about ferrets, or what their adoption policies are.

I would love to see someone like HSUS get involved and take a stand on large
scale ferret breeding.  And when all the unwanted ferrets--whether they are
in shelters, or languishing in cages somewhere--have found wonderful homes,
then we can start worrying about whether there will be enough ferrets to go
around.  That would be a great day.  Ok, off my soapbox.

-- Ronnie DiComo