From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 17:11:02 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Helen Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blue ears getting Black!
>Few days ago I asked if anyone knew about ferrets ears getting blue and soar
>after using eardrops against earmites.  The eardrops are called Oterna, ...

The ingredients look pretty benign - a steroid.  an antibiotic and the
monosulifiram is probably a sulfa antibiotic.  The black hard ears leads me
to believe that the ear tips are dead tissue and may be susceptible to
gangrene.  Have you vet evaluate whether to amputate the ears now before it
spreads.

>From:    Kelly White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: not ECE, but something
>Funny how when you really need an on-line resource, you can't even log on...
>I had a small medical crisis this weekend with Reverend Maynard.  I woke up
>on Saturday and he was pretty lethargic and had to work really hard at it

Top of the list is recurring symptoms from a Helicobacter infection.  A
variety of stresses (new ferrets, new environment, etc.) can cause a
recurrence.  Unfortunately there is not a simple diagnostic test (though one
is in the works).  If all other tests have come back normal, see what
response to treatment (check out the FAQ) does.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA