From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 13:24:27 -0700
Two days ago a fire occured at a house a block and a half from us.  It
apparantly began from a cigarette tossed onto a wooden porch.  This was
the adjacent storage building, and the main house did not burn.  Also, no
ferrets lived there, but the situation gave me cause for concern.  We live
where our only access to land is along our wooden walkways.  Had the fire
spread to the walks, it is possible we could have been affected.

Now, I've always considered myself fire concious, but we recently moved our
big ferret cage, and the carriers are no longer on top of the cage.  Also,
with 5 ferrets, it's not that easy to keep adding one to a carrier without
the others trying to escape, get those little pegs up through the holes,
etc.  Also, over the summer, all 3 of our various large carriers, which
used to be in our van somehow made it down to the house.

So yesterday, I put a king sized pillow case in the ferrets room, to have
for an emergency departure container.  It's easier to drop ferrets into
then operating a carrier door in a panic, can easily be held closed, and
much easier to run with than a bulky carrier.  Also, I'm moving the large
carriers back up to the van for the winter.  Along with an emergency jar of
ferret food, and a couple of old towels.

Let's face it, colder weather means more accidental fires, and even though
we may be extra careful, someone else's carelessness can affect us.

Now back to playing with my ferrets.

Georgia - the left coast one...