From:
Moxie and Nexus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:59:47 -0400
I'm a pet sitter and an almost tragic thing happened to a puppy I care
for.  She chewed on something she found in the garage.  Turned out it was
rat poison left behind by an exterminator who knew they had pets.  I had
to rush her to the vet who induced vomiting.  She had ingested some of
it.  Hopefully, it was not absorbed into her blood stream.  This poison
is highly toxic and makes rodents bleed out.  She has to have vitamin k
and be treated for three months.  Can you imagine what it would do to a
ferret?  This is just a reminder with colder weather coming and mice
making it into homes, please do not use poisons around ferrets and pets.
Also, if you move into an apartment or home that other people have
previously lived in, make sure no Decon or other poisons are left behind
in garages, basements, attics, cupboards, etc.  If you use the services
of an exterminator, don't assume that they haven't left anything around
that your pets could find.  I won't use any poisons in my home.  I get
invaded by ants but will not dust my foundation with chemicals or use ant
traps.  If you have mice, please use the have-a-heart traps that pose no
threat to pets.  This puppy isn't totally out of the woods yet.  The
exterminator denies leaving anything in the garage; he most likely is
afraid of being sued.  If you use service people, you should be aware
what they are doing and what chemicals they are using on your lawn, etc.
Remember little ferrets are close to the ground and inhale all that junk.
And dogs like to eat grass.

--
Moxie and Nexus the moose, missing Chance