From:
Liane Novick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:38:16 EDT
Recently, I read from a fellow FML'r about "what it takes to start a
shelter?"  Having been involved with two shelters I thought "well, besides
the obvious of food, cages, hammies, etc., it takes a lot of time and
love." I then remembered a poem on my office wall by Melodie Chenovert
that was given to me years ago on "What it means to be a Nurse."  So, with
respect to Melodie, I have revised it to "What it takes to be a Shelter."

You will never be bored.
You will always be frustrated.
You will be surrounded by challenges.
So much to do and so little time.
You will carry immense responsibility,
and very little authority.
You will step into a ferret's life
and you will make a difference.
Some will kiss you.
Some will bite you.
You will see ferret's at their worst
and at their best.
You will never ceased to be amazed
at a ferret's capacity for
love, courage, and endurance.
You will see their life begin - and end.
You will experience resounding triumphs
and devastating failures.
You will cry a lot.
You will laugh a lot.>