From:
"Marya K. Kowal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 01:03:27 -0400
hello,
so glad I have such good news to tell you, Emma made it through surgery
with flying colors (I drove the vet's office nuts by calling every hour
and a half, but they forgave me).  She had an adrenal tumor on the left
adrenal the size of a baseball, the vet was so amazed she took pictures
of it as proof. As you may remember, that tumor grew from unnoticable to
baseball sized in 4 days. We were horrified at the size and speed, but
VERY grateful to have our baby back and relatively alright. Dr said the
tumor was wrapped around and mashing every major organ/vessle/nerve in
the area. Our Em leads a charmed existance.

We had a family obligation that meant 18 hours of driving, and had to take
Em with us on Saturday morning, she had surgery Thursday morning. She slept
the whole way down, and recovered rapidly. By the following Thursday she had
taken a dive off the couch when assitance was slower than she preferred.
She also took walks on the beach after dark and discovered the joys of
unlimited digging.

She initially had lost the use of both back legs, but the right one began to
work after 3 days. The left is useless from the knee down, although pulse and
reflexes are normal.  Any suggestions as to how to help her recover the use
of her leg?? She would be much happier if it worked, and it is beginning to
atrophy already.

I wanted to thank everyone who called to offer support and advice, there was
an address problem and we didnt get e-mail for a couple days.  To all who
called, thank you so much. We were so scared and worried, talking to fellow
ferret lovers really helped, and we followed lots of the advice.

Marya (never again 18 hours in a car with a sick ferret AND a human baby!)
Zach (NO MORE CARSEAT!!!!!!!)    Len (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
Molly (thanks for bringing Em back, Mom!)
Em (I'm sick, give me raisins, more raisins and NUTRICAL!!!!!!!!)
Grover (I'm sick too, Mom, really, I NEEEED raisins!)
Boo-Boo (raisins, where? where?)