From:
Joli Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:23:16 -0400
Hi all,

I posted several days ago about two ferrets in Maine that were neglected
and needed rescuing.  My hope was that a shelter or an experienced ferret
person would have room to take them in.  This was not to be.  I called
shelter after shelter and they were all full.  Most have waiting lists,
besides.  So I went and picked them up on Saturday and brought them home
with me.  They went to the vet today and the news is not good for the
female, Emma.  Not only is she adrenal, but she has advanced lymphoma as
well.  She's at least five years old, not two as the owner told me.  Our
vet gave her a Lupron shot and scheduled her for another next month.
She's also on Prednisone for the lymphoma and an antibiotic for an
infection.  The boy, Otto is in better shape.  He's malnurished, but
we're working to get him onto our mix of mazuri and totally ferret.
Once he's eating better, we'll have him immunized.  Emma will never be
immunized.  She's too sick and frail.  So, for as long as she survives,
we'll take precautions to keep her from being exposed to distemper and/or
rabies.

Emma and Otto will live out their remaining days as members of our
family.  I still have no experience with these diseases, but I will learn
as I go and do the very best I can.  Welcome to our family, Emma and
Otto!

I would like to thank everyone who has offered advice and encouragement.
I would especially like to thank Barbara Clay and the people on Rocky's
Message Board, without whom I would have had a nervous breakdown this
past week.

Lastly, I'm still accepting advice on coping with adrenal and lymphoma!
(that was a plea!  lol)

Sincerely,
Joli Nolin